Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gingery Chicken, Rice, and Avocado soup



OMG!  I was sick with nasty cold and flu for a week.  And I was like, “please somebody just kill me.”  It was terrible!   Anyway, I feel a lot better today except just a little cough and stubborn congestion that wouldn’t go away.  For the past week I made lots of soup, all kind of soup that loaded with ginger.  Ginger is my obsession!  If I find out I only have 1 root left, I’d freak out. Seriously!    As you know, ginger is known for fighting cold and flu, reducing pain, headache, migraine, and inflammation.  For me, it’s never too much to add ginger in my diet for my own good. Just gimme some more.....pleaseeee! 






Today’s soup was made with the leftover cooked rice and chicken I’ve saved in the fridge the day before and things I already have around my kitchen for quick instant soup.  I served this soup with the finishing touch of fresh ginger instead of adding them when boiling the broth.  If you are wondering that the fresh ginger might be too strong.  Yes, it is very strong and that’s my point.  Its intensity works perfectly in clearing the bacteria that got me a sore throat.   Not only that, I had added some more dried red chili pepper flakes in my bowl for the back up!  It gave me a little sweat and it was so good.   The creamy avocado cubes in the soup would help subtle down the intensity of the fresh ginger, and the tangy sweet of sundried tomato gave the soup even more interesting taste.   Miso, avocado, and sundried tomato may sound a little weird, but it works together nicely!

Okay. This soup is so easy and very quick to make.   If you know how to bring water to boil, chances are you can make soup.  It takes less than 30 minutes from the start to the end.  I promise.    






Gingery Chicken, Rice, and Avocado soup

What you need:  for 2-4 servings
1 1/2 cups leftover cooked rice (white or brown)
1 cup leftover shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie/grilled)
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
3 tbsp.  Fresh ginger, finely julienned
2 tbsp. mellow white miso paste (or more if needed)
5 cups water (+ 1 cup more if needed)
1 large Hass avocado, chopped in cubes
1 cup cilantro leaves
2 tbsp. sundried tomato, chopped
Pinch of salt to taste if needed
(Dried red chili flakes is optional)


1. In a medium pot, bring water add chopped carrot, celery, and sundried tomato to boil at medium high heat.
2. Let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes, then add cooked rice and shredded chicken. Allow the rice and chicken to heat through for a few minutes, and then turn off the heat
3. With the miso paste in a small bowl, use the hot soup broth from pot stir or whisk in the miso paste until there is no lumps, then gently stir back to the pot and add avocado.  **add more miso paste or seasoning with salt for your preferred taste.
4. Serve each serving with a sprinkle of fresh ginger strips and cilantro leaves (and dried red chili flakes if you like!) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...