Thursday, February 9, 2012

Strawberry in Pom Juice n Red Wine Sauce








Have I ever mentioned that my husband loves grocery shopping! If I told him that we were out of eggs and milk, he would quickly drive to store and come home with not just a dozen of eggs and a carton of milk, but also, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, oranges, grapes, and so on…which we didn’t really need more since we already have all that!   And I... have to manage all of those he brought home to fit into the refrigerator.   Anyway, today he brought me 2 boxes of really good looking strawberries (I told him that I only need 1 box for my smoothie) and said, “here's for dessert tonight.”   O-k-a-y!  Just cut them up, add some sugar, and top with whip cream, done! That’s what I told him.  His response was, “c’mon, you can do better than that!”  and I just gave him a blank stare thinking…hmm…what I can do with those strawberries!  Opening the refrigerator and browsing from top to bottom…I see half a bottle of Chianti red wine I had the  other night with dinner.  I see Greek yogurt. I see pomegranate juice.  Wham!  Here we go…the quick and easy dessert of all time.  Let's have some fun!






What you need:  for 2 servings
2 cups strawberries halved
1 cup red wine – I used Chianti red
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon rind thinly sliced or grated


Yogurt topping:


1cup non-fat Plain Greek yogurt
1-2 tbsp honey and lemon zest
Mix well and chill

How to:


1. In small saucepan, combine red wine, pomegranate juice, sugar, and cinnamon stick over the medium-low heat.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat and add lemon rind or zest and let it cool down.

2. Place strawberries in the medium bowl. Pour the wine mixture over the strawberries include cinnamon stick, cover and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to blend flavors.
3.  Serve chilled strawberries with a dollop of yogurt mixed topping or whipped cream as desired.

Enjoy!

 ^____^


2 comments:

  1. THAT SURE LOOKS VERY APPETIZING CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT,NICE PHOTOS & SITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE OF YOUR RECIPES THANKS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...