Monday, July 2, 2012

Thai Spicy Manila Clams in Roasted Chili Paste and Thai Basil


When I was on my way home from work the other day, I decided to stop at the Asian grocery store in China town to get something for dinner, and there I saw the gorgeous Manila clams plied up in the big tank calling my name, I could have sworn! So, I brought home 2 lbs of Manila clams for dinner to make my favorite dish, Stir-fried clams with roasted chili paste or as the Thais called it “Hoy lai pad num prik pao,” another popular Thai dish that I haven't had for a while.


Though, In Thailand, the clams using for this dish are much smaller in size and lighter in weight, I found that these big and meaty Manila clams have satisfied my hunger for this dish as much as the one I used to have in Thailand. Hoi lai pad num prik pao is very easy to make as long as you can find the two main “must-have” ingredients Num Prik Pao or roasted chili paste and Thai basil and then you are set!



 if I have to name a Thai dish that I missed the most, this would be it!


What you need:
2 lbs Manila clams
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp sugar
3-4 Thai chili slightly mashed  or thinly sliced
2-3 tbsp roasted chili paste
1/2 cup Thai Basil leaves
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/4 water
2 tbsp vegetable oil




How to:

- Add the oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add garlic and fry to light golden brown
- Add the clams and stir for a few times, add roasted chili paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, water, and stir to incorporate all the flavor
 - Stir and let the clams cook for another 5 minutes (if using a lid to cover the sauté pan, it will cook faster) or until notice that all the clams are opened up
- Turn off the heat and add the Thai basil leave, stir to blend all together once more
- Serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice


Enjoy!
^__^



2 comments:

  1. OMG! This dish looks so delicous! Great pics, great food blog!

    DannyL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, DannyL

      Thank you so much for your comments.

      Sissy Nui.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...