Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lemon Crème Brȗlѐe Tart with Strawberry and Kiwi and White Chocolate Hearts



Happy Valentine's Day
 
 
 


Lately, my times have been taken away by my busy schedules, which I don’t even think I will time to cook and put up the post.  But Valentine’s Day is around the corner and I just couldn’t help it and have to find some spare times to do what I love to do most, cooking.

And another good reason for me to do this is because the hubby keeps asking me…
 “What are you going to make for the Valentine’s?”

 “What do you like?”  I asked.

And he said, “Anything with L-E-M-O-N.”

“Not chocolate?”
“Well, anything is good if you make it!”

……..How could I say no to that, right?  …….Okay, that’s his trick to get me to make something. 

And here it is…the perfect Valentine’s Day’s dessert, easy, simple, and elegant… Lemon Crème Brȗlѐe Tart with fresh Strawberry and Kiwi.   And as fancy as I wanna be, I melt some white chocolate chips and pour it in the silicone heart mold to make white chocolate hearts, and they came out so pretty.  
 

 
I knowww….it just too fancy but the Valentine’s comes once a year, and I’m telling myself, why don’t have some fun!  
The tart has sweet tangy of lemon, and yet light and creamy with the crunchy of caramelized sugar and simple buttery crust in each bite….ohhhh- lala-licious… that’s all I can say! 
 

 
 
The fun part of making this dessert is using the hand blowtorch to brown the sugar on the top of the tart.  While I’m doing that, I feel like I am making something so elaborately special by turning it to an art form.   Well, that’s just what I think, but it just looks gorgeous, don’t you think?     
 

 
 
But don’t worry if the hand torch is not an option.  Just put it under the broiler and cover around the crust to prevent burn, then you will have a beautiful dessert in no time.
 


What you need:
For crust – 10-inch tart pan
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tbsp blanched slivered almonds
6 tbsp fine sugar
8 tbsp butter, cold and cubed

For the filling:
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated zest
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
2 tbsp raw sugar for the topping
Fresh strawberries and Kiwi
*White chocolate hearts for decoration - optional


 

How to:
- Add slivered almonds and 3 tablespoons of sugar into the food processor and pulse until the almonds turn finely ground
- Add flour and another 3 tablespoons of sugar and pulse to combine
- Add cold cubed butter and pulse until it comes together into crumbs when press with your fingers
- Transfer the flour mixture or dough into the tart pan and use your fingers to help spread the dough out evenly up to the side of the tart pan and use the bottom of the measuring cup to help in pressing down
- Bake the crust in the oven at 350’F for 22-25 minutes or until the crust turns slightly brown.  If the crust starts to bubble in the middle, prick it with fork.  Or you can use blind baking method
- While the crust is baking, make the filling by whisking together the eggs, yolks, sugar, cream, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, and salt until they are creamy, and set aside.
- When the tart crust finished baking, carefully remove it and place it on top of the baking sheet.
- Pour the filling through the strainer directly into the hot tart and return it to the oven and bake for another 35-40 minutes or until it puffed around the edge and set in the middle.  Let it cool for at least 1 hour
- When the tart cooled, sprinkle the raw sugar evenly over the top of the tart. Using the blowtorch flame by moving back and forth just above and avoiding the crust until sugar is caramelized and slightly browned but not burn.  Let it cool for another 30 minutes to allow the sugar to harden and crusty
- arrange fresh cut strawberry and kiwi around the tart or as you desired
 
- cut, serve, and enjoy!
 
Happy Valentine's Day!
 
xoxo 
 
^o^
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...