Monday, September 3, 2012

Fig Jam.....of course it is!








Fig season is normally started in September but our figs started to ripe early in late July. And by the middle of August with the extreme summer heat, our figs are almost done. With the fig trees loaded with figs, the hubby and I have been picking them almost every day and giving them out to our friends who love figs. Still, there are lots of figs keep falling down and making a mess on the ground. We even share some of them with little birds and squirrels that love to hang around in our backyard, but lots will be ripen and ready to pick until the end of September!


 

I am not really a fan of figs and the hubby is not crazy about it. But all these years we have learned to appreciate them more since we have 3 different varieties of fig trees in our backyard which we don't really know what they really are.   However, I have done some researches and as close as it gets, I believed we have Italian Black, Italian White and Celeste fig trees. 




According to Wikipedia – “Figs are one of the highest plant sources of calcium, fiber, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and vitamin K, relative to human needs.” That sounds so awesome! Don’t you think?




Since we have endless of figs right now, I decided to make fig jam. YES, I’m making fig jam! I’ve never make fig jam before; I’ve never make any jams, period. And only jam I’ve ever liked to eat is orange marmalade. That's it! 




I was trying to make a jam that is not too sweet because I don’t like things that too sweet, opposite from the hubby. So, this fig jam was the compromise between the hubby and me so that we can both enjoy together without making funny faces. And the result? The hubby loves it! I love it (second to the orange marmalade, of course!). It tastes so great and has just the right amounts of sweetness spread perfectly on buttered toasted English muffins and waffles.…………..No wonder why I've been gaining weights!  Drat!   



What you need:

4 cups chopped fresh figs 
1 cups sugar 
3 tbsp honey 
3 tbsp lemon juice + zest 
1 tsp ground cinnamon 

How To:

- Combine everything in the medium pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the sugar is melted, then low the heat down to simmer for another 30-40 minutes or until the fruit is softened and the liquid is thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent burn in the bottom.
- Fill the jam into the sterilized jars and keep in the refrigerator 


Enjoy!
^__^





2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic Sissy. It's really cool that you are trying to appreciate figs and that you cook with the things that grow on your property. Have you considered doing something savory with the figs? Thanks for the great jam recipe.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      I do enjoy fresh figs more than before now and love to give them away to those who love them and that even make me happier. Well, I was thinking about making soup with fresh figs because my neighbor was telling me about that. Let's see if I can get into that soon.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Sissy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...