Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whole Wheat Apple Yogurt Coffee Cake





















I've been having a weird feeling of baking a cake for week – coffee cake for breakfast just to be specifically.
To satisfy my unusual craving for coffee cake, I decided to bake apple coffee cake over the weekend since I had the last 2 Green Smith apples left sitting pretty in the basket waiting to be eaten.
 
“Honey, I’m baking a cake………for breakfast!” I told the hubby.
He replied disbelievingly and slowly with the very low tone,
“you A-R-E baking A c-a-k-e for b-r-e-a-k-f-a-s-t?”
“Yeah!” Enthusiastically me.
And the hubby just gave me the blank look about what I was just saying because breakfast is not my thing, but I was about to make a cake for breakfast! I thought my idea had just terrified him to death! Oh well!

The recipe I found on Food52 used 3 cup of all purpose flour (it must be a very big cake!) but I only used half of the recipe since only two of us here. I also slightly changed the recipe with a combination of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, substituted butter with canola oil, lemon juice for orange juice, added fat-free yogurt, and finished it off with cinnamon-sugar topping.






















And the result?  Yummmm.......

This cake was so simple and very easy to make without electric mixer and I don’t have one. Despite of the modified recipe, it turned out to be such a light, moist and fluffy with the right amount of sweetness, loaded with cinnamon goodness, and the crispy crust around the edge. I needed to tell you right now that the whole house smelt so cinnamonly delicious. I have to secretly warning myself that one tiny piece with my morning coffee should be enough but I just broke myself walked back and got another bite! Oh nooooo!

Now I've come to understand better why American folks love to have it for breakfast and called it coffee cake when it obviously no coffee in it. Though I’m not a baker but I definitely bake this coffee cake again in a heartbeat.























What you need:  for 9-inch round cake

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup fat free yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
2 medium Green smith apples, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice
Cinnamon sugar for topping
Mix together 3 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp cinnamon 























How to:
- Preheat the oven to 350’F use 9’ round pan
- Grease 9’ round cake pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside
- In a medium bowl, toss 3 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp cinnamon into apples and set aside
- Combine together whole wheat flour, all purpose, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt and
set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, canola oil, yogurt, and vanilla to mix well
- Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture and toss in the apple to combine
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle on top with cinnamon-sugar
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the toothpick insert comes out clean
- Serve warm


Enjoy!
^__^




4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks really delicious. Easy to make, awesome to eat. Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,
    Thank you so much for stopping by. This cake is very easy to whip up and so yummy with those cinnamon heaven.

    ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you forgot to add the lemon juice in your directions, and therefore so did I :( Hope it turns out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even notice that the lemon juice but I did it automatically (tossed the apples with it--guessing that's where it came in? :) In the oven now, smells great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...